5 months ago
We're looking for a great software engineer who can help us to design and build our world-class product for modern charities.
At Beacon we're a growing technology startup building the best nonprofit-focused CRM in the world. We believe passionately in the power of technology to make a difference.
Chris and David, both software engineers, founded Beacon in 2017 to build a new kind of charity CRM using the latest technology and design principles.
Now hundreds of innovative charities around the world trust Beacon to run their core technology infrastructure. Animal welfare, human rights, disaster relief, cancer support - all powered by Beacon.
We have doing good at the core of our mission, but we're also profitable, entirely bootstrapped, and our goals are for long term sustainable growth - not making a quick buck for venture capitalists.
At Beacon we take building exceptional software very seriously. In a recent survey by Fundraising magazine we were rated 4.9/5 on functionality and 4.9/5 on ease of use - we want to keep it that way!
Your focus will be building and maintaining the entire Beacon product, from infrastructure to interface. You'll work directly with the founders and our existing engineering team to design, develop, and maintain a sophisticated and modern web application.
- Design and implement improvements to the core of the Beacon product
- Write clean, maintainable code to deliver on the Beacon product roadmap
- Identify and fix bugs in the existing system
- Take ownership of features from UI/UX design to building the backend endpoints that you need
- Work closely with the founders and other engineers to come up with creative and innovative solutions to challenging technical problems
You'll need practical experience with the following technologies:
- RESTful APIs
- AWS Lambda
- Postgres (or another SQL database)
We make extensive use of libraries to make our lives easier including Lodash, Sequelize, Mout, Moment, and tonnes of others. Libraries are for winners.
- Our customers are all charities - you'll get to build your career whilst having a genuinely positive impact on the world. We could all go and work for a bank if we wanted to.
- We'll give you 30 days of holiday every year, plus bank holidays
- Taking time off is important. And we really mean it: We'll pay you a £50 bonus for every day of holiday you take
- Beacon is climate positive (beyond carbon neutral), so your employment won't hurt the planet. Learn more.
- Flexible working hours
- A proper pension - we'll match 150% of your pension contributions (up to 10%)
- Private health insurance
- Modern parental leave policy (it's the same for everyone, regardless of gender or circumstances)
- We'll give you a free Fitbit to track your health stats
Covid and our office
Right now the team is working remotely, but we don't think the lockdown way of working is the best way. As a team we prefer to be together in our office (113 Shoreditch High Street) when guidelines permit and we'd want you to join us - so this is not a remote role. In normal times we all work from home every Wednesday to break up the week and to give everyone a predictable day of home working.
We passionately believe in diversity and equal opportunity
We believe that in building diversity we build strength. We encourage all to apply, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.