Engineering Manager - Core Games
15 days ago
Volley develops voice-controlled games and entertainment apps for Amazon Alexa and Google Home. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month. We’re a 55-person team based in San Francisco.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
- Song Quiz - a name-that-tune music trivia game
- Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? - a quiz game to test your elementary-level knowledge
- Bedtime Stories - a soothing, narrated skill to help you fall asleep
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars, and our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.What you’ll do
- Report directly to the Head of Core Technology and become a key technical leader within the company
- Lead Volley's core engineering teams across multiple internal tools and services as you facilitate scaling of Volley’s products to millions of users
- Collaborate with product engineers to identify pain points, gather requirements, and unlock Volley engineers to develop best-in-class voice-controlled products
- Collaborate with UX experts, designers, and data analysts to power best-in-class voice-controlled products
- Take on engineers from bootcamps and other non-traditional paths. You will guide them through their very first tech job— providing career advice, technical guidance, and code review along the way
- Collaborate with our head of people to manage Volley's talent pipeline and grow the team
- Managed a high-performance engineering team, or you are ready to make the move from a technical lead to an engineering manager
- Partnered closely with engineers to facilitate and build new infrastructure or internal services
- Built consumer-facing mobile or web apps at scale
- Worked with audio, voice, or other emerging technologies
- Volley's own custom-built engine, designed by a rocket scientist :-)
- Typescript, Node, & Next.js
- Kotlin Multiplatform
- Kubernetes & Terraform
At Volley, we recognize the importance of work-life balance. We offer a flexible, hybrid work-from-home and in-office work model. We also offer 4 weeks of paid time off (with an enforced 2-week minimum!).
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love coming together over Zoom happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
Underrepresented candidates, and candidates from nontraditional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!