Front End Engineer (Early Career)
4 months ago
Founded in 2014 in London, United Kingdom, Garrison has raised more than $50m to date from London investors including Dawn Capital, IP Group, NM Capital and BGF. Garrison’s strengths lie in its experienced and dedicated teams, building on years of expertise in cyber security to bring genuinely game changing technology to the industry.
Garrison is working to build the future of cyber security and is already deploying at scale in both the government and commercial space. Our existing customers are large organisations averaging over 50,000 employees each, across sectors including banking, insurance, media, telco, law and government.
Our working culture
We are an exciting start-up with ground-breaking technology; a very serious mission to solve real world problems, but with a positive and highly inclusive atmosphere, and an excellent work/life balance!
At Garrison we celebrate diversity and inclusion, and we’re focused on continuously improving equality for the benefit of our employees, products and community. We recruit, develop and retain talent purely on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we take every possible step to ensure that every person employed or seeking employment with us receives fair treatment. No-one shall be disadvantaged on the grounds of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital and parental status, neurodiversity, social background, physical ability, illness or otherwise.
Our employee benefits package is as follows:
- Flexible working hours and regular working from home
- 25 days holiday allowance per year (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 days)
- Company pension scheme of 8% base salary (depending on employee minimum contribution)
- Personal annual training budget of £1,000 plus five study days out the office
- Life assurance and critical illness cover
- Share option scheme
- Perkbox discounts and freebies – free coffee, free cinema tickets, and lots more
- Bike to work scheme and an interest-free season ticket loans
- Regular socials – games nights, open air cinema, quiz nights and company picnic are all recent!
- And free fruit, tea and coffee in our offices!
Overview of the role
We need a passionate and creative Front-end Software Engineer, to work as part of a small but growing multi-disciplinary team. Your role will be to develop, integrate and support the web-based components in the overall solution and help transform our front-end development capability.
You will contribute to all aspects of product engineering within the team and take responsibility for developing the primary user interfaces used by our customers’ administrators and security professionals.
As a rapidly growing and agile company there is plenty of room for personal development and you will receive the support you need to shape the role and evolve at Garrison, whilst helping Garrison continue to develop and evolve!
You will also get the opportunity to collaborate with other teams across engineering in things like back-end services, and other elements of our extensive technology stack, alongside things like customer trials, helping to write customer-facing documentation or building and setting up demonstrations to support marketing event.
Product software development
- Developing front-end functionality for our products to meet the needs of our user community with a focus on delivering a reliable, attractive and a highly usable solution
- Selecting appropriate web development technologies and building reusable code and libraries of components suitable for use across the Garrison product portfolio
- Working with product owners to help design the functionality of our web-based interfaces and take a strong role in ensuring user experience is central to the design
- Contributing to the scoping and design of new software and supporting planning and estimating, including responsibility for estimating individual development tasks
Integration, test and sustainment
- Performing the integration and test of front-end components with Garrison REST services and ensuring correct system behaviour through both manual and automated test development.
- Developing a continuous integration capability for the browser-based components of our solution and integrating this with our system-level CI and test systems.
- Identifying and investigating defects in the system, whether found internally or by clients, and developing bug fixes and corresponding enhancements to the product.
- Improving code maintainability and supportability for example through ongoing code refactoring, code peer-review, unit test development and provision of stable APIs.
- Developing automation for common engineering tasks, including testing, environment provisioning and build and release management to improve development efficiency.
- Investigating new technologies and performing rapid prototyping under the direction of the CTO to support technical de-risking and discover new opportunities for design improvements.
- Working with the leadership team to identify and prioritise potential new product features, and suggest and progress opportunities for innovation across the product.
- We will provide a challenging, supportive and fast-moving working environment with the opportunity to learn about different technologies, develop new skills and set out on a range of career paths.
Skills and experience
You’ll be perfect for the role if you have the following experience/skills -
- Experience of front-end development, ideally in a commercial environment, including:
- CSS Post-processing libraries (SASS, LESS, SCSS)
- Robust cross-browser and multiple device support
- Creating a complete development and test environment for web applications
- Exposure to developing complex enterprise software / B2B applications
- Prior experience of carrying out front end testing, using ideally using Cypress
It would be super useful if you’ve covered the following (but not essential!) -
- Exposure to user interface / user experience design
- Basic knowledge of interactive data visualization libraries
- Basic knowledge of animation libraries
- Backend experience (NodeJS, Python)
- WebRTC (DataChannel only)
And we are delighted to have team members who show the following qualities -
- Able to collaborate with team members
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, adaptable, enjoy prospecting challenges and delivering results
- Calm under pressure and able to maintain a diplomatic manner even when being challenged
- Able to communicate well, both verbally and in writing