Full Stack Software Engineer
1 month ago
We're looking for a brilliant product-minded Full Stack Engineer to continue improving our web-based user research platform. You’ll be joining the company as the second engineering hire, and will work directly with the tech lead and the founder to continue developing the product, taking ownership over how we grow and scale the platform.
At Ribbon, we're on a mission to help the world's best companies build better products by making it easy to do continuous user research. Our platform connects product teams with users within their own product so that they can gather feedback, test their assumptions and build products people love.
We’re a small team and are looking for compassionate and curious people who are eager to take ownership of big projects and grow with us. If you’re interested in shaping how user research is done at product-focused companies globally, join us!
A bit about the opportunity
- You will work closely with the tech lead, working on our customer-facing web product from an engineering perspective, and drive its development.
- You will help define the product architecture all the way from the technologies we use to the design principles that we apply.
- You will work closely with the founder and tech lead to ideate engineering solutions to how we build and improve the platform and add new functionality.
- You will help scale the Ribbon team by helping to hire exceptional talent as the team grows over the next few months.
- Strong experience developing REST APIs to serve web clients
- Be familiar with modern API and infrastructure security best practices
- Have experience building production-ready web apps
- Have experience working with browser, server, and database technologies (e.g. MongoDB, MySQL)
- Have experience working with AWS, Heroku or another major hosting provider
- Be passionate about developing performant products and always strive to improve themselves and their work
- Be product-minded, and be motivated to build products that help our users
- Love to craft beautiful software (aesthetic or otherwise)
- Be able to communicate well with team members
Keep in mind that this is just a guide. If you see something that doesn’t match your background, great - that’s a good learning opportunity!
Our tech stack
Our main language is TypeScript across both the frontend and backend. We use:
- React frontend
- Express backend
- Mongodb for persistent data storage
- Redis for job queueing, Pub/Sub messaging
- Heroku for continuous deployment and hosting
- GitHub Actions for continuous integration
- Git VCS
We offer a competitive salary plus ownership of Ribbon via tax-efficient EMI stock options.
We’re still deciding our full benefits package and are looking forward to working with our early employees to figure out what matters the most to you. We currently offer:
- 25 days holiday (excl. bank holidays), with the choice to use your bank holiday allowance on days that better suit you
- Hybrid working - We have a hybrid approach to working that we believe helps us build the best environment for our team and product experience for our customers. We ask that you come to our central London office 3 days a week.
- Health insurance with AXA including dental & optical cover
- A pension scheme. We pay 3% when you pay 5%
- A new MacBook Pro (or equivalent laptop of your choice)
- We’re a member of the cycle-to-work scheme
- Quarterly (and optional) team socials
We aim to make the interview process as enjoyable as possible, and successful candidates will go through a simple 4-step process:
- If your profile fits this role, you’ll be invited to a quick call to cover with the founder to learn more about the role and to explore your relevant experience and motivation for joining the team (30 mins)
- If there seems to be a fit for the role, we'll then follow up with a take-home coding exercise. We’ve tried to keep it short to be respectful of your time. We will send you a £50 Amazon voucher for completing the assessment, whether you're successful or not.
- If you are successful with the exercise, you will be invited to a more in-depth video interview with the team where we'll work through your submission together and ask some technical questions (1 hour)
- Finally, there will be a culture interview where you get to meet the team and we’ll discuss what you might bring to the role, try to understand how we'd work in a team setting and answer any final questions you may have (1 hour)
After the final interview, we aim to let you know our decision as soon as possible. We expect the process to take 2-3 weeks from start to finish, but we can move faster if you need us to.
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome all applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age. Please let us know if you require anything which would enable your success throughout our interview process.