Sr. Data Engineer (Ruby on Rails / Looker)
2 months ago
Aha! is a different kind of high-growth SaaS company. We are the world's #1 roadmap software and help people achieve their best. Over 5,000 enterprises and 500,000 product, innovation, and engineering leaders trust our software to build lovable products and be happy doing it. We are self-funded, highly profitable, always distributed, and have no sales team. Being an always-remote company means we can hire intrinsically motivated people who love to learn, support their teammates, and want to work from where they are happiest.
Aha! engineering is a mid-sized, fully remote team that is highly productive. We are centered around North American time zones so we can collaborate during the workday.
- We move quickly: We ship code multiple times a day. We believe in getting new features in front of customers and iteratively improving as we learn what works and what does not.
- We collaborate: We each bring unique experiences and skills to the table. Working together to share that knowledge benefits the entire team and helps us produce the best results for our customers.
- We value product over process: We want the team to have the time and focus to solve complex challenges. We aim to minimize the overhead introduced by heavyweight processes and excessive meetings.
- We enjoy: We like what we do. And we want you to love your job too. Learn more about The Responsive Method, our company values, and the generous benefits we offer.
Our sole product is the Aha! web application. It is a single-instance, multi-tenant Ruby on Rails monolith supported by Postgres (database), Redis (background jobs), and memcached (Rails caching). We also run a Node.js webserver to support collaborative editing and real-time updates. Our application is hosted on Amazon Web Services and architected with ECS for reproducibility and scalability.
We utilize a growing amount of React on the front end to build rich client-side experiences, including our fully collaborative text editor and our slide presentation editor. We balance the strengths of both technologies — Rails for its conventions and simplicity and React for more powerful interactive functionality.
Our ETL process extracts data from Postgres into AWS Redshift to prepare it for consumption by our business intelligence tool, Looker.
We embrace new technologies that help us deliver a lovable product, but we also remain cognizant of the maintenance overhead that a new library or platform brings. We solve the problems in front of us rather than prematurely optimizing to address issues that may never materialize.
We do most of our planning and collaboration in Aha! Roadmaps and built Aha! Develop so that software engineers and their teams could take advantage of those same rich features. We use Slack and Zoom for video calls. (Email? Rarely.)
We believe that being a kind person who elevates the rest of the team is just as valuable as writing great code. You have strong problem-solving skills and experience working on important functionality for a cloud-based product. You are humble, eager to learn, and always willing to help others learn as well. You want to work with people who enjoy picking up a problem and solving it, regardless of the technologies and techniques involved.
Sr. Data Engineers at Aha! make significant contributions to how we gather, transform, and measure data that drives business decisions. The data engineering team owns the ETL process and the business intelligence platform that Aha! uses.
Your work at Aha!
Sr. Data Engineers work on all areas of our analytics system, from ETL pipeline to data warehousing to business intelligence visualizations. Your work will include:
- Maintaining and improving the ETL pipeline to extract data and load it for consumption by business intelligence tools
- Creating and maintaining datasets that lead to key product and business insights
- Collaborating with stakeholders in many areas of the business to identify and present data to aid in decision-making
- Devising architectural solutions that are performant, scalable, well-tested, and maintainable
- Independently guiding the implementation of significant and sophisticated greenfield features from start to finish
- Mentoring other developers through code reviews and proactively stepping in and help with questions and obstacles
- Expertly and professionally handling engineering escalations by diagnosing and implementing solutions to customer problems — and proactively communicating with both the customer and the Customer Success team to maintain satisfaction
- Maintaining the privacy and security of Aha! customers and their data
If the Sr. Data Engineer role sounds appealing, we would love to hear from you. (A real human reviews every application.)
Grow with us
Everyone deserves to reach their fullest potential. We know that when we do work that matters with people we care about in a high-growth environment, we feel engaged and alive. And our goal is to help you do just that. We offer all the benefits you would expect and more, including profit sharing. The specific benefits listed below are reflective of what we offer U.S.-based hires. We also do our best to extend identical benefits to international teammates.
- Generous salary with annual profit sharing for all
- Medical, dental, and vision plans — for many teammates, we cover 100 percent of the premiums
- Up to 200 hours of paid time off a year to spend however you want
- 30 to 90 days of paid parental leave and five to 10 days of paid care and bereavement leave
- Up to $1,000 annually for third-party education, along with paid time off to immerse yourself in learning
- Aha! contributes a percentage of your total compensation each year towards your retirement