Principal Software Engineer - Building better public services
In Sheffield we’re forming the Sheffield Delivery Centre (SDC). This is a real ‘Greenfield development’ and your role as a Principal Developer is to pioneer new approaches, define and share best practices, using your experience to train and mentor other staff, building capability across the profession.
We’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We’re home to some of the most important public services in the United Kingdom and are transforming how we use data and technology to improve these. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, ensure applications and delivery of passports is efficient and developing and supporting a wide variety of GOV.UK services such as getting married or forming a civil partnership or applying for a visa.
If these types of projects excite you, we'd love for you to join us!
Your main focus
- leading and advising on design choices and ensuring that software is high quality and balances technical and business considerations
- providing support and direction across multiple teams through deep technical insight, to balance new and live services
- improving our continuous deployment pipeline - helping us to identify and remove bottlenecks and increase the speed at which we can get features into the hands of our users
- working with teams to identify areas for improvement, coaching and mentoring team members
- pioneering new approaches, defining and sharing best practices across teams
Who you are
We're looking for people with very deep technical expertise. You’ll have outstanding technical knowledge that allows you to provide support and direction across a number of teams.
You’ll either specialise in Frontend or Backend development, with an understanding of the other.
If you’re a backend developer, you’ll be expected to have substantial knowledge of:
- Java Spring or NodeJS
- SQL and no SQL databases
If you’re a frontend developer, you’ll be expected to have substantial knowledge of:
Alongside this all our Principal Developers will have experience in:
- improving continuous delivery/continuous deployment environments where code is released to production multiple times per day
- working with people with a range of technical experience and can bring others along with you
- leading on test driven development, using testing to validate solutions and promoting a culture of test driven development
- agile development methodologies, including writing and taking ownership of stories
- secure development practices
- a cloud-based approach, selecting cloud components and defining infrastructure as code to integrate them (AWS, Azure, Docker and Kubernetes)
If you're interested in learning more about the work we do and our recruitment process you can sign up to our event: