Front-end Developer (eShop)
The Natural History Museum is both a world-leading science research centre and the most visited natural history museum in Europe. With a vision of a future in which both people and the planet thrive, it is uniquely positioned to be a powerful champion for balancing humanity's needs with those of the natural world.
We are at a pivotal moment in our history as we launch a new strategy setting out our role as the natural world faces increasing threats. Building on our world-leading collection, global reputation for science and as one of the world's leading visitor attractions, the NHM has ambitious plans leading up to the 150 anniversary of the opening of the Waterhouse Building in 2031, making this a truly exciting time to be part of the NHM team.
As a part of this, we are looking for a talented mid-level Front End Developer with Magento experience to work on the Museum's public-facing digital experiences!
What will you be doing?
You will work within one of five cross-functional Product teams in the Digital Media department, inside the iconic Natural History Museum in South Kensington, London. The teams consist of developers, UX and digital designers, product managers and digital content managers. You will be expected to work closely within your product team and other departments across the Museum.
You will primarily be focused on developing the Natural History Museum's Magento online shop, www.nhmshop.co.uk, but may also work on other websites, web apps and customer interfaces with your Product team.
In addition to product work for the department, as the Development team we regularly work on technical improvements for our multiple codebases, and you will be able to contribute to these.
As a department we are growing - and learning - and we would love for you to join us on our journey. We're looking for proactivity, collaboration, new ideas and opinions.
This role is an 18-month Fixed Term contract.
What are we looking for?
- Demonstrable experience in developing public-facing websites or applications.
- Good experience working with the Magento 2 front-end stack, including layout XML, RequireJS AMD (Asynchronous Module Definition) architecture and KnockoutJS template bindings.
- Good experience developing and maintaining the front-end of custom Magento 2 modules and themes.
- Good experience integrating front-end and back-end codebases, working with RESTful API's and data manipulation.
- A good understanding of web performance, accessibility and web security best practices.
- A good understanding of build tools and package managers such as Composer, NPM, Grunt, Gulp or Webpack.
- Experience using Git for version control.
- Experience working with and developing for a range of different systems, platforms, devices and technologies, including Content Management Systems.
- A good understanding of designing and building for user needs.
You may also...
- Have some experience working with enterprise Content Management Systems, such as Adobe AEM.
- Have experience working in an Agile/Lean environment (stand-ups, pair-programming, code reviews).
- Have an interest in UX and an understanding of visual design.
Closing date: 9am on Monday 21 June 2021 Interviews expected 14-16 July
To apply, please visit https://careers.nhm.ac.uk/ and upload your CV with a covering letter, which clearly outlines how you meet our person specification.
Contact Name: Natural History Museum
Job ID: 2940298