Remote Senior/Principal software engineer
The stack: Postgres, Node.js/Express.js, React. Currently running on Heroku, eventually AWS
The product: we help CFOs at subscription companies do their jobs more effectively
The way we work:
- This is a remote job - work anywhere you want! Any timezone on earth (or outside earth, whatever)
- We are an asynchronous team - we don't do scheduled meetings, and rely on each team member to pick their own schedule and to communicate clearly in writing and with recorded videos
- We operate completely autonomously - no one will tell you what to do, we'll just tell you the goals and you will figure out how to work towards them with the rest of the team
The role you'll play on our team:
- You'd be one of the first five engineers on the team, and the first very senior hire
- You'll work on database design and implementation, complex data management problems, API design and implementation, some front-end React app code, building and iterating on our product, collaborating with designers and founders, and making a product that users will love
Like all start-ups we're scrappy, but not scrappy on compensation: Chiffer is committed to paying our awesome team members at market-rate, including benefits.
Our interview process
Our interview process is designed to focus on your skills as a software engineer, and your ability to communicate clearly. We're a fully asynchronous company, so that's how we will communicate in this interview process too 🙂
- We'll do a quick review of your background based on what you include in your application email
- If it's a fit, we'll ask you to work on a ~90 minute exercise while recording a loom (or other screen recording) video.
- If the video interview above goes well, we'll want to learn a bit more about how you communicate in writing - we may ask you to put together a technical design document. This is one of the biggest ways we communicate at Chiffer, so we want to see that you can work well with that!
- If we like what we see, we'll ask you some questions over email
- If everything seems like a fit, we'll ask you to work on one more ~90 minute exercise while recording a video
- And finally, hopefully we'll send you an offer. And hopefully you'll accept!
- You're an excellent senior engineer who has (senior: 5+ / principal: 10+) years of experience building web applications, designing databases and APIs, and working with others
- You're a great communicator via writing, and via recorded videos
- You're excited about working on a globally-distributed and diverse team, in an incredibly unique culture where autonomy, accountability, and ownership are equally as valued as your skillset.
- That's it
- Unlimited vacation
- Completely flexible work schedule - work literally anytime (and anywhere) you want!
- Benefits appropriate to your location (health/dental/vision in the USA)
- Company wide retreats multiple times per year
- Like all start-ups we're scrappy, but not scrappy on compensation: Chiffer is committed to paying our awesome team members at market-rate, including benefits.