Backend/Full Stack Engineer
We provide NHS GPs, CCGs, clinicians, urgent and emergency care providers, and hospitals with the technology needed to have safe, secure, easy to use video consultations with patients.
Our Founder, Dr Chris Whittle, is an NHS doctor who wanted to make a change to the way people access healthcare. Whether the block was in time (two week wait to see his GP) or convenience (seeing somebody at a time that suits you), the barriers were all too present for people to see someone when they needed to.
Chris enlisted help to build a safe, secure, easy to use platform to put doctors and patients together online, keeping NHS founding principles at the forefront of everything that we do. Today Q doctor is a group of like-minded professionals providing easy to use video consultations with a growing number of NHS surgeries and organisations.
About the role:
We are looking for Full Stack Engineers to build both the Back End of our products, work to integrate them with the frontend, and implement new technologies into our stack.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Working within a team of engineers and other stakeholders to deliver Back End features and associated artefacts - tests, documentation and so on.
- If needed, working with the Front End team to build Front End components.
- Ensuring the smooth running of our web apps. Optimising performance in applications for maximum speed and scalability.
- Work to follow the best practices, standards, appropriate implementation choices, communications and approaches defined within the team.
- Supporting component design, development, and maintenance while ensuring the work you deliver is complete, consistent, and meets all agreed quality standards.
- Problem-solving any issues with our web apps, including diagnosis and bug-fixes.
- Upskilling across the stack: frontend, architecture, testing.
- 4+ years tackling Back End problems.
- Refactor and upgrade existing Back End modules.
- Enjoys writing and testing clean code, preferably in a TDD manner.
- Experience building RESTful APIs.
- Writes effective, scalable and maintainable code, and pays attention to detail.
- Writes efficient MySQL queries & statements.
- Experience with all stages of web and API development.
- Understanding of SOLID principles and meticulous code quality.
- Good understanding of security and performance considerations.
- Understanding of architectural and design patterns.
- Good team player, ready to help, debate, compromise and work together.
- Passionate about constantly improving the way the team is working.
- Willing to learn new skills and really get stuck in.
- Working knowledge of Git and project management tools like Jira.
- Continuous Integration and development.
Technologies We Love:
- PHP (Laravel/Lumen), Node.
- AWS, New Relic, Docker.
- MySQL, NoSQL.
- Git, Github.
- 25 days annual leave entitlement plus bank holidays
- Flexible remote working available
- Life assurance
- Rewards for success; we are results driven and offer bonuses based on performance
- Contributory pension scheme
- A remarkable opportunity to join an ethically entrepreneurial business where you can make a real positive difference to our clients, their patients and society at large