Pavers has been trading for almost 50 years and is a highly profitable and growing business with a strong balance sheet and a turnover in the region of £150m. In 2018 we also acquired the Jones Bootmaker and Herring Shoes footwear businesses, with the group now employing over 1500 people in total.
The role also includes contributing to and supporting the Software Development Manager, Infrastructure, Compliance and Support teams in the design and evolution of systems to support strategic objectives and business functions in a growing retail organisation embracing the latest technologies.
Although primarily based at Head Office the role may very occasionally require travel to stores across the UK and Ireland.
- Design, develop and unit test applications in accordance with established standards (and where applicable introduce and improve existing standards)
- Assess opportunities for application and process improvement and prepare documentation of rationale to share with team members and other affected parties
- Participate in peer reviews of solution designs and related code.
- Team player with experience collaborating crossteam to ensure successful delivery of solutions.
- Ensure software and solution deliverables are produced to the highest standard, consistent, ‘fitfor-purpose’ and meeting the expectation of the customer/business.
- Be highly supportive to users where engagement is required.
- Assist in the provision of third level support to business users.
- 2 years software development experience
- HTML / CSS
- Web Services (REST/XML/JSON)
- SQL Server and MySQL
- Exposure to Cloud based solutions (Azure, AWS, Google)
- Hold valid Right to Work status for the UK (no sponsorship)
- Excellent communicator (written & verbal)
- Strong critical thinker with problem solving aptitude
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills demonstrating outside-the-box problem solving skills
- Drivers License
Any experience of the following is not essential but would be beneficial:
- Experience of Microsoft Technologies, e.g. Microsoft Visual Basic, VB.NET, C#, ASP.NET, MVC
- Agile Framework Experience
- Proactive troubleshooting and diagnosing skills
- Retail experience, including Multichannel, EPOS
- Salary: Circa £35,000 depending on experience
- Free onsite parking
- Generous Staff Discount
- Discretionary Bonus
- Holiday Entitlement (Increases with service)
- Company Contribution Pension
- Access to RetailTRUST (Wellbeing Support)
- Access to RetailCURE (Financial Support)
Pavers Shoes is one of the UK’s leading shoe retailers. Established in 1971 we remain family owned and run, and also own and operate the Jones Bootmaker and Herring Shoes brands. Together we have over 170 stores in the UK and Ireland, and over 1,500 people in our ever-expanding family. In 2020 we have been voted one of the Top 20 Retailers in the country to work for (Retail Week/Glassdoor), been recognised in the Sunday Times’ Top Track 250, and also won Best Footwear (Multiple) Retailer at the Drapers Awards.
We are passionate about providing comfort and happiness to our customers, and we make sure to employ people who are as passionate as we are. We always look for happy, confident, upbeat people, and we provide great jobs in a supportive family environment for them. We know that without our colleagues there is no business, and that the better we look after you the better service you will provide our customers, so we always try and do the right thing by our people.
We strive for diversity of thinking across the business and believe strongly in supporting our local communities. In 2018 we donated over £2.2m to establish the Pavers Foundation, with the specific purpose of providing grants for causes important to all our colleagues in the areas of health, education, and community. In terms of the environment, we are constantly seeking to reduce our impact, are working with One Carbon World to become Carbon Neutral, and already have one of the largest solar arrays in the North-East of England on our warehouse generating clean energy.