Consultancy: Web Apps Developer-UNICEF Supply Division- Operational Analysis & Technology Centre (OATC) - Home- Based - 230 days (15/03/2023 to 28/02/2024)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, care
How can you make a difference?
Context and Purpose of the Consultancy:
The Oxygen System Planning Tool (OSPT) is built with the vision to provide strategic and technical support so that national- and sub-national decision-makers can act with confidence to plan, finance, procure, and maintain oxygen supply and delivery systems. It is customizable tool that can be used to plan oxygen delivery systems from source to patient. The core aims of the tool are to calculate estimated oxygen demand, recommend oxygen infrastructure requirements based on the estimated need and build fully quantified plans for the procurement of equipment.
The Oxygen System Planning Tool (OSPT) was developed as a proof of concept in 2018 – 2019 upon the onset of COVID-19 in April 2020, it was launched in response to the urgent need for Oxygen demand estimation and planning faced by countries. Currently, it is excel-based and is publicly accessible to everyone as a downloadable file. Since its launch, it has been used in 35 plus countries. The main purpose of this consultancy is to convert this tool into an efficient client-based web application that can be easily used by countries to plan their oxygen demand and therefore needed infrastructure.
Together with the Digital Apps Manager in OATC, the Web Apps Developer will support the liaison and coordination of a significant number of stakeholders in the Product Innovation Centre (PIC), to collect requirements and transform the current excel based calculation tools into working modern web-based solutions, for use by countries to support the decision making for planning and procurement of needed infrastructure.
Technical skills in IT project management, user trials and training and integration are essential.
Interpersonal skills to interact with ICTD and external stakeholders are very important.
Fast paced, autonomous work practices are essential.
Scope of Work:
• Work with the project team to design and develop two calculator tools, one for planning Oxygen facilities based on demand and another for new born health care provision using Next.js and related technologies
• Write clean, scalable, and maintainable code that meets the project requirements and follows industry best practices
• Implement responsive design to ensure that the platform is accessible on various devices and screen sizes
• Develop and maintain an efficient and secure document-based database structure to support the platform's functionality
• Collaborate with other developers, designers, and project managers to ensure the project is delivered on time and to the highest standard
• Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in Next.js and related technologies and share your knowledge with the team
• Liaison and daily collaboration with internal and external stakeholders
• Maintain the project plan which should be regularly updated
• Establish a common application architecture for building calculation tools
• Plan, Implement and deliver the Oxygen System Planning Tool based tool
• Plan, Implement and deliver the Newborn Health care facilities planning tool, based off the same calculation tool
• High frequency work schedules and timeline dependencies across technical teams, including 3rd parties
• High frequency liaison with business owner counterparts including action item coordination and documentation of findings, next steps, or joint decisions
Work Assignment Overview
Tasks/Milestone 1: Newborn Health Planning Tool
Deliverables/Outputs: Version one of the Newborn Health Planning Tool
Timeline: March 2023 – July 2023
Tasks/Milestone 2: Oxygen System Planning Tool (OSPT)
Deliverables/Outputs: Version one of the Oxygen System Planning Tool
Timeline: August 2023 – December 2023
Tasks/Milestone 3: Refinements and enhancements to the tools based on user feedback
Deliverables/Outputs: Planned enhancement changes are completed
Timeline: January 2024 – February 2024
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field is preferred
• Strong experience with Next.js, React, and related technologies
• Proven track record of delivering high-quality, scalable web applications
• Knowledge of Node.js and its ecosystem
• Strong understanding of document database design and management
• Project management using established frameworks
• Software implementation experience in UN setting is considered an asset
• Multi-stakeholder engagement and communications experience
• Strong technical communications skills
Other Skills and Qualifications:
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
• Rigorous follow-up and organizational skills
• Fast-paced working method
Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit:
Financial quote at a daily rate in US Dollars including all taxes
Highest Education Degree (scanned copy)
Examples of previous, relevant work
At least 3 References from previous direct Supervisors ( email and phone contact if applicable)
Applications must be submitted through the UNICEF electronic application system by 27 February 23:55 CET. Please indicate your availability and daily rate to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily rate will not be considered.
UNICEF considers best value for money as a criteria for evaluating potential candidates. As a general principle, the fees payable to a consultant or individual contractor follow the “best value for money” principle, i.e., achieving the desired outcome at the lowest possible fee. Please note that consultants and individual contractors are responsible for assuming costs for obtaining visas and travel insurance.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterwards in your assignment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, programme delivery locations or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.
Deadline: 27 Feb 2023 Romance Standard Time
- Front End Jobs Worldwide
- Senior Front End Jobs Worldwide
- Junior Front End Jobs Worldwide
- Full Stack Jobs Worldwide
- Senior Full Stack Jobs Worldwide
- React Jobs Worldwide
- Senior React Jobs Worldwide
- React Native Jobs Worldwide
- TypeScript Jobs Worldwide
- Node.js Jobs Worldwide
- Back End Jobs Worldwide
- Angular Jobs Worldwide
- Vue.js Jobs Worldwide
- North America
- South America
- United States
- San Francisco, USA
- Los Angeles, USA
- New York, USA
- Austin, USA
- Miami, USA
- Seattle, USA
- Chicago, USA
- European Union
- United Kingdom
- London, UK
- Barcelona, Spain
- Madrid, Spain
- Lisbon, Portugal
- Porto, Portugal
- Paris, France
- Rome, Italy
- Milan, Italy
- Berlin, Germany
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Sydney, Australia
- Melbourne, Australia
- Brussels, Belgium
- Prague, Czechia
- Brno, Czechia
- Aerospace companies
- Automotive companies
- Blockchain companies
- Creative companies
- Cryptocurrency companies
- Data companies
- Developer Tools companies
- Finance companies
- Fashion companies
- Gaming companies
- Healthcare companies
- Human Resources companies
- Marketing companies
- Media companies
- Metaverse companies
- Music companies
- NFT companies
- No-Code companies
- Non-Profit organisations
- Productivity companies
- Real Estate companies
- Retail companies
- Robotics companies
- SaaS companies
- Security companies
- Social Media companies
- Software companies
- Sports companies
- Sustainability companies
- Tech-for-Good companies
- Telecomunication companies
- Transportation companies
- Travel companies
- Jobs providing visa sponsorship
- 4 day week jobs