Software Engineer (Full Stack with Backend focus)
Location: Old St, London (but remote during Covid). Expect 2-3 days in the office with some flex
Salary + equity
Lollipop is on a mission to take the pain out of grocery shopping by building an AI-led shopping assistant that does it all for you. If we get this right our software will help millions of families and others overwhelmed by the pressures of daily life whilst reducing the £10B of food thrown away each year.
Our founding team members have built businesses such as Monzo, Curve, Drest and Florence and our backers have scaled companies like Ocado, Innocent, Microsoft, Babylon and Deliveroo. We know what it takes to build products enjoyed by millions of people across the world.
Despite being early stage, we’re well funded and ambitious, making this an incredibly exciting time to join the team for the right person. You need to be motivated by the idea of being part of a small team building something that hasn’t been built before, working hard to overcome countless hurdles and doing it all in record time as our user base takes off.
We need a fast-moving, highly-driven, courageous Software Engineer who is particularly strong on the backend as that’s where the biggest challenges are initially but with the skills and flexibility to help out on the frontend when required. This phase is all about quick solutions, fast experimenting, rapid prototyping and getting working MVPs in front of users and not about optimising distributed systems etc.
We’re a customer-crazed, product-first company meaning we’ve identified a number of gnarly customer problems that we believe can be solved with a healthy mix of the right tech and a generous dollop of data science and UX. As such our code and our solutioning is our competitive advantage.
Your skills and experience will take us to the next level. We need to solve a number of meaty tech challenges to accelerate and improve the shopping process from recommendation engines to complex integrations all behind beautiful UX that will become our calling card. Underpinning this we’ve created a prototyping architecture optimised for speed but before long you’ll need to build a super-scalable platform that can handle explosive growth but doesn’t slow down deployment.
A snapshot of what you’ll be doing
You’ll build products and features that will help our customers do the big shop in little time primarily focusing on the backend but contributing to customer-facing UX as required. Specifically you’ll be:
- Rapidly solving product and tech challenges that haven’t been solved before
- Integrating with large complex systems like major supermarkets
- Building a flexible backend to scale as fast as companies like Monzo and Deliveroo
- Working with data science experts on recommendation engines, shopping acceleration algorithms
- Committed to tearing down and building again if we learn there’s a better way to get there
- Building tools to help our teams to support customers
You’ll work in cross-functional teams, taking product, design and data inputs to ensure we’re iterating quickly based on customer feedback which you’ll have the opportunity to hear directly. You’ll also help shape our development process and company culture.
Who you are
You’re someone who makes things happen despite ambiguity and can handle periods of breakneck scaling and moments of chaos. You have a passion for product development, innovation and solving real customer problems without being wedded to any particular technology or approach.
You enjoy being responsible for hitting your goals and you know when to reach out for support, direction, challenge and feedback.
What you’ve done
- A solid track record of full stack development and comfortable & open to a variety of languages (e.g. React, Go, JS/Node.js, Python, RoR, and/or a willingness to learn fast)
- Experience building prototypes/MVPs with short cycle times (hours/days not weeks)
- Experience with various styles of programming (imperative, object-orientated, functional) and an informed opinion about when to use one or the other
- System administration basics, infrastructure as code and an interest in learning more as required (e.g. Terraform, Puppet, Chef, AWS). Bonus points if you’ve deployed secure, scalable backend services to AWS
How you operate
- Collaborative mindset - you actively enjoy collaborating with team members and help design team environments where positive intent is assumed and compassion, honesty, respect and flexibility are actively encouraged . You don’t tolerate brilliant jerks.
- Continuous improvement - you work to learn and grow, you take feedback well and you look for opportunities to coach other members of the team
- Considerate coder - you like to leave things better than you found them
- Great comms - you can explain tricky tech trade-offs to non-technical folks
Bonus points if you've got
- Impactful experience in a scaling startup environment and/or at a major tech brand
- A cute dog that you’re willing to bring to the office to meet the team
Why you should join us
Imagine getting in right at the start of a company like Monzo or Deliveroo. By joining our small, rapidly scaling team, you’ll get the chance to build both a product and company scratch... this will be a thrilling yet challenging ride that’s not for everyone.
No matter how fast we scale, we won’t forget that our incredible team is a wide-ranging group of individuals who deserve a personal touch. We’ll need to move fast and work hard to achieve our mission but we firmly commit to ensuring our workplace is motivating, diverse, inclusive, honest and transparent throughout the journey.
Other benefits to working with us:
- An open and collaborative company looking to develop a world-class engineering outfit
- Minimal hierarchy - you’ll work closely with the senior team from the start
- Modern architecture and tooling - you can use the right tool for the job
- “Just enough process” - no more, no less
- Opportunity to join user research and see how customers interact with your software directly
- Flexible and sustainable working hours - no face time
- Brand new MacBook Pro (or equivalent for anyone who prefers Linux/BSD)
- Competitive salary and a meaningful amount of equity
- More perks as we (and you) think of them
How we’ll get to know each other
If this sounds of interest, then don’t hesitate to apply using the button below and we’ll get back to you within 48hrs if your application is successful. We’re mindful and respectful of your time, so our process shouldn’t take more than c.4 hrs in total and will typically consist of:
- an introductory conversation
- a technical deep-dive
- a culture interview
If you’d like to gobble up the challenge of reinventing food shopping then please get in touch, we'd love to here from you! Regrettably, we're not in a position to sponsor (yet) so we need you to be based in and eligible to work in the UK is required.