Software Engineer, Rails/React, Remote (UK), Contract
nitially remote working; subsequently a blend of home and office working
The Room is a SaaS-based MediaTech marketplace that helps brands to most effectively source people of influence to amplify their marketing spend. Our mission is to unlock peoples’ true love for brands. Our clients include O2, Samsung, HelloFresh and MARS, to name just a few.
- This is a contract role outside IR35 for six months with a day rate of £600.
- Our team is fully remote and so you can work exclusively from home, although we need you to be based in the UK. We will eventually open an office base in London for meet-ups and team events.
- Our product and technology team is nine people in total, although we are currently hiring for three additional roles.
- The Room also includes sales, marketing, customer success and finance teams. The whole company is about 30 people.
- You would report to our CTO (me) or another engineering manager when we hire them. I report to our two founders, Alex and Tanya.
- I started my career as a software engineer and have been a CTO for 13+ years, growing teams from 0-50 in startups and small and large businesses. My last job was CTO of Gumtree. This is not my first rodeo!
- You’re welcome no matter what your age, gender, sexuality, race or physical ability. We believe your experience is valuable and should have a voice.
What you’ll do
We’ve raised funding to build the next generation of our technology, opening up The Room to a global audience and we need you to help us get there.
We’re building our platform as a backend API using Ruby on Rails with a separate web frontend using React/Next.js and iOS and Android apps. This role is focused on the backend and frontend as part of a cross-functional team of other software engineers and product designers.
- It’s essential that you have at least two years of recent work experience using Ruby on Rails and React, ideally with Next.js.
- Understanding of Node, build tools and shell scripting.
- You should be comfortable with relational databases and SQL. Our choice is PostgreSQL.
- We write tests using RSpec (backend) and Jest/Cypress (frontend).
- Comfortable using git and GitHub for source control and collaboration.
- Familiarity with web performance optimisation techniques, web standards and accessibility.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
How we work
- We like writing automated tests as part of a CI/CD pipeline.
- We work in Agile cross-functional teams using Scrum, with stand-ups, sprint planning and retrospectives.
- Work is organised using Jira and documented with Confluence.
- We’ll get you a MacBook Pro or high spec PC laptop if you prefer.
- You’ll communicate using Google Workspace (G Suite) and Slack.
- The first stage is a half-hour call with our CTO (me). I’ll ask about your experience, technical skills and approach.
- Next, there is a one-hour screen-share/video call for a technical assessment with our lead engineer. We’ll send you a brief beforehand so you can prepare. We’ll ask you to work on a feature and talk about your decisions as you’re coding.
- The final stage is a conversation with two of our software engineers. They will dig deeper on your technical approach and answer any questions you may have about the platform, team or company.
- That’s it. We don’t believe in take-home tests. We don’t use whiteboard evaluations. We try to keep the process as painless as possible.
If you’d like to apply, please click the Apply button, fill out your details and we’ll be in touch. We don’t want help from agencies or any other recruiters, thanks.